Saturday, November 21, 2009

TEST CASE – TO WRITE OR NOT TO WRITE

The first thing that comes to my mind when I talk about test cases is Excel Sheet where there are different columns and numerous rows. This document talks about why one should write and why one should not write the test cases. There are pros and cons of scripted testing and non-scripted testing. Note that this document doesn’t advocate on one approach be it scripted or non-scripted. Before I start my talk on the topic let me throw some light on brief introduction about test case.

Definition of a Test Case
    Test Case is a set of given inputs to see whether the outcome is as expected or it’s different. To make it simple: a tester does some test and sees the result of output. Then he compares the actual result with the expected result to write Pass/Fail in the Result column.

Where to write test cases?
Different organizations follow different kind of editors to write test cases. But normally they use Microsoft Excel to write test cases.

Do I need to write test cases or not?
Let me consider myself as an example: I don’t want to write test cases in excel sheet or any text editor. But it doesn’t mean that I don’t know to write a test case. Nowadays, a tester needs to have skill of writing test cases & should be well versed with Microsoft Excel. I can write 1000000000000+ test cases for an application if an organization mandates me to write test cases. But I get bored doing this job. I can’t do this for longer time. Maybe this is why most of the people have a myth which is “Testing is not a challenging job”. I don’t like writing test case doesn’t mean others don’t want to write it. Different people have different perspective about test cases. What one company test case definition is might differ from the other company’s definition of a test case.

At the end of any discussion the question that stays in our mind is “Confusion that, Should I write test cases or follow some kind of approach”.

There is no standard definition for anything – Santhosh Tuppad.

4 comments:

James Marcus Bach said...

Where did you get that definition for a test case? Do you really believe that is a good definition?

I think you can do a lot better than that.

Santhosh Tuppad said...

@James Marcus Bach,

Thank you for your comment. I defined it on my own. Primarily, I don't believe in test cases. Someone writes it & someone executes it. Follow some steps and wait to see the expected result.

They merely don't check for "What an application is not supposed to do". In the test cases (My experience), I have only seen what it is supposed to do (They refer to specifications and write these test cases). I don't believe that the definition I gave is a good definition. And I know that I can't define a test case because test case itself is confusing.

Few things I got to know discussing with my friends and my brother (Developer),

We were sitting in a hotel and discussing about why some of the testers doesn't think. His reply was, "Organizations doesn't expect you to apply your approach in the work". If a person is doing so, he/she is pulled down and the person stops from doing so.

I don't know who is the founder of test case. Why was it introduced. A kid can also be trained for few days and he/she can do the wonderful job. Why do some organizations need people who have thinking ability. It's just that they have a BEST PRACTICE of recruiting graduates. While recruiting they say, "You are not supposed to think". If you have an good eye ball for visualizing then we are okay to take you.

Parimala Shankaraiah said...

@Santhosh

I found this document by James Bach - www.satisfice.com/presentations/againsttestcases.pdf today while reading Michael's blog post.

This might be of help to you,

Regards,
Parimala Shankaraiah

Santhosh Tuppad said...

@Parimala,
Thank you for referring me to the document.